Sunday, November 1, 2015

Blog Entry #1: The world of blogs

Blogging, online writing entries of countless topics and information for anyone in the world to filter through if they so wish.  I took the plunge and found a few to talk about here with you. The first and by far my favorite was Deborah Blum's Elemental.  
While this blog has not been updated since May of 2014, I still found myself totally enamored with the writing of Deborah Blum.  Imagine finding a lovely looking website with a darkly humorous tone which discusses how people die from different poisons. Elemental is a gloriously macabre delight for any fan of biological killing agents, and those who enjoy the stories that come from the existence of poisons.  Toxicology; famous deaths from poisons through history and present day, and chemical exposures lit up my computer screen.  I was filled with awe and complete delight from Deborah's wonderfully dark and informational rhetoric. 

PBS also noticed the work of Deborah's fantastic writing and created a great television series based on her books about poison and myserious deaths.  

 If you love the dark mystery type shows, you can watch and episode for free on YouTube here.  

I then continued my journey down the rabbit hole of cyber surfing to find another great blog.  Somewhere in route, I took a wrong turn and ended up on the TMZ blog page.  I hesitated for a moment before continuing my investigation.  I decided to not close out the page and look for something else; I just had to know why all the celebrity gossip seems to be so interesting to much of the public.
TMZ is a fantastic work of literary garbage with excellent titles to articles containing almost zero credible information; just like the gossip they are spreading.  The facts were quite hollow as I clicked on several different topics.  Built like a gossip magazine, the TMZ blog posts many pictures up with great titles that hook the audience, but if you want to actually read a good article this is not the place; you will find on the next page bad paparazzi photos of annoyed looking celebrities who are having their personal space invaded instead.  This articles writing mostly contained tweets of other celebrities reactions to this "scary interview".  Great reporting TMZ, I am so glad I read about what other famous people think as an opposing opinion to another celebrity's opinion.
 If celebrity gossip is your vice though, by all means, enjoy.
The third blog I visited and was thankfully interested in was Postsecret.com.  Postsecret is an interactive art project that shows private secrets to anyone who wants to read them. 
Keeping the senders of the intimate subject matters completely anonymous, the layout of Postsecret's blog is very simple, keeping the focus on each entry.  If you ever want to explore the personal secrets of complete strangers to feel a wide variety of emotions, this is the place to go. Postsecret was an enjoyable experience for myself, after reading through several entries I left the page feeling like I had just interacted with a complex piece of art that is a living social experiment.
What are some of your favorite blogs?  I would love to hear what you thought of any of these three as well if you have the time.  So please, blog on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment